Copper awnings can give a beautiful and unusual look to your windows, adding real kerb appeal to your home. Although it is durable and long-lasting, copper metal can lose its bright, polished look over time, and continual exposure to the elements can cause the material to become weathered and tarnished. Some people like the patina that copper takes on, but if you prefer your awning to remain looking shiny and new, you'll need to clean it regularly.
Here's how to keep your copper awnings looking dazzlingly shiny, without the use of harsh, chemical cleaners.
What you'll need
- washing-up liquid
- warm water
- clean, soft cloths
- soft duster
- lemon juice
How to do it
This project will only take you a couple of hours to complete and is best done on a dry day when it's not too hot and sunny so that your cleaning paste doesn't dry out too quickly.
- The first thing to do is to make up a mild solution of warm water and washing-up liquid. Use soft cloths dunked in the cleaning solution to wash off any surface dirt from the awning. Never use abrasive sponges or wire wool on your copper awning, as you could scratch it and dull the surface.
- Rinse away any remaining soap suds with clean water. You can use a garden hose for this job, but don't use a powerful pressure washer or you could damage your awning or windows.
- Now allow the awning to air-dry naturally.
- Copper naturally begins to tarnish when exposed to the elements, resulting in discolouration and dulling of its original shine. To rectify this, make up a paste of equal parts lemon juice, flour, and salt. Dip a soft, dry cloth in the paste and apply it to any areas of tarnish on the awning, using a gentle pressure and circular, polishing motion.
- Leave the paste on the awning for fifteen minutes or so to activate; the acidity of the lemon juice will gradually dissolve the tarnish.
- Wipe away all the paste with clean, warm water and soft cloths. Finish off by rinsing the awning thoroughly with clean water, using a hose pipe.
- Allow the awning to dry naturally.
- Finally, use a soft duster to polish your now beautifully clean awning to a dazzling shine!
There's no need to use harsh chemicals to remove everyday dirt and tarnish from your copper awning. You can return your awning to its former glory by cleaning it regularly, as per the instructions given above. For more information, contact a business such as IQ Shutters Pty Ltd.Share